I’ve written a lot of mood board posts that go into detail on a lot of the different master bedroom ideas and design sections below. I hope you don’t mind bouncing around a bit to the other posts on the site – the different mood board posts will really help give you some good design ideas and more photos.
The Color of The Room
What paint color you use on the walls is really a matter of personal taste. But if you want to make the bedroom feel bright and spacious then go with a light color. If you have a large bedroom and want to make it feel cozy, romantic and secluded, go with a dark color. For a range of master bedroom colors and paint ideas have a look at my post here: Bedroom Color Ideas: Paint Schemes and Palette Mood Board. And here is a collection of the different bedroom styles I’ve posted about (from Bohemian, to Vintage and Shabby Chic): Bedroom Style Ideas.
Designer Lighting Ideas
Lighting plays an important role in any bedroom. It can turn an ordinary looking room into a designer one. In a master bedroom you have more space to play with, making lighting even more important. Here are some lighting ideas to consider:
- For elegant lighting ideas, have a look at cove lighting just like in picture (1). This creates a soft glow, adding a luxurious touch in a master bedroom. To find out the specifics on what cove lighting is, ideas on how to use it, and for more pictures, have a look at my mood board post here: The Beauty of Using Cove Lighting: Design and Ideas
- Another lighting idea that is ideal for the master bedroom, is a chandelier or a mini one.
- Dimmer switches are always great to have. They allow you to switch from more cozy and romantic lighting, to brighter lights instantly.
- Take inspiration from hotels when it comes to bedside lighting. Instead of having a table lamp, look to fit lamps to the wall and have the light switches fitted into the wall. Having lights on both sides of the bed helps frame the space in the room, and by having them on the wall you save bedside table space and get rid of the wires.
- If you live in a cold climate, a fireplace in the bedroom is a luxurious touch. For more dream features have a look at my post here: Dream Bedrooms: 6 Amazing Features.
For other relaxing bedroom lighting ideas have a look at my mood board here: Relaxing Bedroom Lighting Ideas.
The bed is the main focal point in a bedroom. This is because of how much space it takes up. So the style of the bed you have, and even the bedding you use, will play a big role in the styling of the room. So pay attention to the style of the bed, even the color of it. For a romantic and grand looking bed go with a canopy (2) or four poster bed:
There are also modern looking beds, with clean lines. But for more decorative, and larger bed frames, there are French styled and sleigh beds:
- Inspiration Board: Bed Designs, Ideas, and Pictures
- Headboard Design Ideas: From Monograms to Fireplace Mantels
Other Furniture Pieces
Have a bench at the foot of the bed just like the bedroom in picture (3). This will help make changing clothes a lot easier. And if you have a bench that opens up, it can also be used for storage.
Full length mirrors are a must have in a master bedroom. It is another item that will help make changing clothes more convenient.
The Benefit of a Master Bedroom: Closet Space
One of the benefits of a master bedroom is the amount of closet space you’ll have. If you are doing a complete remodelling of the bedroom, or are constructing your home – see if you can build in a walk in closet. Yes it is a luxury to have, but it also gets all the closets out of the bedroom – making for a more relaxing space.
Even if you have closets in the bedroom or a walk in, adding lights to the shelves is a nice touch. Relying on a ceiling light usually doesn’t cut it, as the light won’t reach each shelf. Having lights added to the underside of each shelf, or even at the back makes everything a lot more convenient (Closet Lighting Ideas: From Wireless to Walk In).
What To Do With Extra Space
If you have a lot of space in your master bedroom then why not have your own little nook. This can be a reading nook overlooking a window, a sitting area (4) (5), or space for a daybed. It is a relaxing space that you can use in the day. Creative Bedroom Ideas: From Reading Nooks to Hanging Chairs.
Divide up the layout of your bedroom if you are tight on space in the rest of the house. You can have a home gym , nursery, or even a home office in the bedroom (6). The key is being able to close off this space and hide it when it is not in use, to keep the bedroom a relaxing place. One way to do this is to use DIY room dividers like curtains or book cases – have a look here for more ideas: Ideas Mood Board: DIY Room Dividers. Area rugs also help define different sections in a room.
For home office ideas in the bedroom have a look at my mood board here: Bedroom Office Ideas, Tips, and Designs. There is also the option of turning a closet into a home office space: Creating a Workspace At Home: Closet Office Ideas. 1/2/3/4/5/6
More Bedroom Mood Board Posts:
- For small master bedroom ideas, have a look at my post here.
- For more bedroom designs and ideas, check out my bedroom mood board collection page here.
- For modern bedroom ideas have a look here.