The table, chairs, and lighting. Those 3 things are really all you need to create a vintage dining room. So let’s focus on these design areas the most.
The Seating: Vintage Dining Room Chairs
Here are some design ideas for vintage dining chairs:
- Leather Chesterfield banquette booth seen in picture (1)
- Reclaimed, repainted wooden chairs like the ones in picture (2)
- Upholstered tufted bench (3)
- Industrial metal dining chairs (4)
- Fold up metal chairs, repainted (5)
- Leather chairs (6) (in natural brown, or deep blue or green)
- A wooden bench
- French iron cafe chairs (7)
Style Ideas: Vintage Dining Room Tables
When it comes to finding a vintage dining table, some design ideas include:
- An old wooden dining room table
- Long family style barn table
- Carved (4) and/or tapered wooden legs. The round dining table in picture (8) is available from Urban Outfitters here.
- If you can’t get your hands on a vintage dining table, then an alternative would be to use a vintage style table cloth just like in picture (2) (the table cloth can be lace, floral or antique patterned, or a pastel shade). You could also use a doily table runner to add some style to your furniture.
- For centerpiece ideas have a look at my post here.
Setting the Mood: The Lighting
Pendant lights hanging over the dining table would be the best way to light up and style the dining room. Use fixtures that are styled after barn lights – these are metal enamel lights like the ones in picture (1). You can find out where to buy these kind of lights on my Deli page.
Another lighting option is to use a mini chandelier, decorated with a ceiling rose medallion (3 Unique Vintage Ceiling Design Ideas). For more vintage lighting pictures and ideas have a look at my mood board post here: Style Guide: Vintage Lighting Ideas.
Extra Vintage Styling
Those would be the 3 main areas I would focus on styling first – the table, chairs and lighting. If you get those parts right and well styled you don’t really need to do anything else. But if you want more ideas here are some that will work well:
- Check out the vintage ceiling ideas post mentioned above
- From areas rugs, to patterned hard wood floors, have a look at these vintage flooring designs Style Guide: Vintage Flooring Ideas and Designs
- Follow the rules of materials, going premium and focal points in my The 5 Rules of Vintage Interior Design post
- When it comes to decorating the walls, have a look at my mood board post here: Vintage Wall Decor Ideas: From Bird Cages to Designing with Frames
For more vintage mood boards, have a look at my Vintage Collection Page