A neutral color scheme (grey, white, off white) is always a good color scheme for a kitchen. These neutral shades create a timeless kitchen design. One option is to create a grey minimalist kitchen style, or add pops of color through the decor or feature pieces.
Here are some grey kitchen ideas that will help you design and style your space.
The Walls of Your Kitchen
When most people think of a ‘grey kitchen’, they’ll imagine a space with grey walls. This is one option, to paint all of the walls grey. But you could also paint all of the walls white and still have a grey kitchen.
If you paint the walls white, you can still style the space grey by using grey curtains, or a grey kitchen table cloth. Check out the ‘Styling the Kitchen Grey’ section below for more ideas on how to style a grey kitchen.
Luxury Grey or Light Grey
Whether you do paint the walls grey or only decorate the space with grey pieces (or both), the shade of grey you use will really impact the style and feel of the room.
A dark grey color kitchen palette, will feel more luxurious, and secluded. While light grey kitchen walls will make the space feel open, airy, and spacious. You can see how the shade of grade makes a big difference in pictures (1) and (6).
Styling the Kitchen Grey
Here is a quick list of items around the kitchen that can be grey to style the kitchen:
- Grab a can of paint and DIY yourself some grey kitchen cabinets (DIY Challenge: Give Your Closet Doors A Makeover – Ideas and Design Tips)
- Or go with grey countertops
- Look for grey curtains
- How about using a grey table cloth or a grey kitchen table
- Or grey seat cushions
- See if you can get a grey centerpiece
- There are grey light fixtures, lamp shades
- Hang up some black and white photos/paintings in a grey frame
- Go for a grey kitchen backsplash (21 Kitchen Backsplash Ideas and Design Tips)
- Laydown some grey kitchen rugs
- Or hang up some grey kitchen towels
Pops of Color
If you want to create a minimalist kitchen style, then stick with a grey and white kitchen color palette. This means taking out (or storing away) any items in the kitchen that are not white or grey.
You can always add colorful pieces into your grey kitchen. But I would stick to 1 to 2 colors. Any more that that and you start to take away from the overall grey color scheme of the kitchen. Some good color combinations include:
- Grey and yellow (either have both light shades, or a dark grey and light yellow)
- Black and grey
- Blue and grey
- Grey and gold
Here are some more kitchen posts to get ideas from:
- A Palette Guide For Kitchen Color Schemes: Decor and Paint Ideas
- Black and White Kitchen Ideas and Designs Mood Board
- Search all of my kitchen mood board posts for ideas