When designing your guest room, whether it is in the basement or another room in the house, try and imagine what it is like to be in a hotel room. It is a relaxing, clutter free space that has all the little amenities you could need for your stay. The basement guest room ideas I’ve listed out in this post, look to make your guest feel right at home.
Keeping the Space Clutter Free
You want to try and recreate the hotel experience in a guest room. So try and avoid storing things out in the open. If you have to store things in the same space, then either use decorative and good looking storage containers (like a wicker hamper, a wooden trunk), or hide it out of the way with a DIY room divider (Ideas Mood Board: DIY Room Dividers).
Simple Decorating Ideas
Keep the decor simple, and avoid cluttering up the space. Some simple ideas include a framed painting above the headboard, or a decorative lamp.
Try and decorate the space through the functional and feature pieces in the room.
- Look to get an elegant and stylish headboard (Headboard Design Ideas: From Monograms To Fireplace Mantels)
- Or use premium bed sheets and pillowcases. Ones with a simple texture or pattern (Stress Free: Minimalist Bedroom Design Ideas)
- Find elegant bedside table lamps
- Add some plants to the space
Here are some fun, hotel style pieces to include in your basement guest room to make your guests feel at home:
- A stocked mini fridge
- A TV
- Toothbrush set
- A hair dryer
- An iron and ironing board
- A welcome note
- Or a fruit basket
Painting The Walls – Guest Room Colors
If you are wanting to repaint the walls to decorate the space, have a look at this post for ideas: A Palette Guide To Basement Paint Colors
Reminder: Different states (and countries) will have different rules about turning a basement into a bedroom. This is all about safety. Some places will require you to have windows that a person can climb out of. So double-check your local laws before turning your basement into a guest bedroom.
And here are some other basement posts to get more guest room ideas:
- Turning a Basement Into A Bedroom: Designs and Ideas
- Guest Bathroom Ideas That Make Them Feel At Home
- The Small Basement: Ideas and Tips On Making It A Dream Space
- Search all of my basement posts for more ideas