When it comes to styling a farmhouse bedroom it is best to start with the main focal piece of the space, which is the bed. There is a lot you can do here: from choosing the right bed frame design, to playing with different fabrics for the linens. The bed alone really sets the style of the whole bedroom, since it takes up the most space. You can also find other farmhouse bedroom ideas and decor tips in this post, ranging from lighting to storage ideas.
Styling The Bed Area
Let’s start by focusing on the main focal point in the bedroom – the bed. The go to choice for a farmhouse bed is the traditional Victorian bed design seen in pictures (1) and (2). You can get one of these beds either here or here.
So you have the metal bed designs. An alternative is a wooden one with a curved headboard and footboard, or a modern 4 post bed like the one in the farmhouse master bedroom in picture (5).
Once you have you bed chosen, the next step is to pick the right style of bedding. Go with light colored fabric. You can mix and match a white bed sheet, along with plaid (3), ticking (striped) (1) (7), burlap fabrics (7), or go with a more quilt like blanket like the one in picture (5).
One last thing you can do to style the bed area is to add an area rug under the bed – like the striped one in picture (1), or the woven matted one in picture (3).
A Farmhouse Bedroom’s Color Scheme
You can see from the bedrooms in the mood board above that most farmhouse bedrooms use white as the base color. This means white walls (how about fitting wooden panels to the wall to create a more farmhouse look). But warmth and color is brought into the bedroom through the use of natural materials such as wooden farmhouse furniture pieces and flooring, and wicker storage pieces, while shades of green are added with plants.
If you need to store things out in the open in the bedroom or even under the bed (extra linens, magazines, clothes, etc.), then store them in good looking storage pieces. This way they also act as decor for the room. Some ideas for good looking storage pieces for a farmhouse bedroom include:
- Wicker baskets (6) (8)
- Metal wire baskets (6)
- A wooden trunk
- A wicker trunk or hamper
Have a look at this post for more farmhouse storage ideas: Farmhouse Storage and Organization Ideas
Other Farmhouse Bedroom Decor Ideas and Design Elements
- Window Treatment Ideas: When it comes to the fabric choice for the windows, the same style applies as the bed sheets. Either go with a white or cream colored curtain, or look for plaid, ticking (striped), or burlap style fabric. And a cast iron curtain rod will look good in a farmhouse bedroom. Another option would be to go with white or bare wooden shutters
Farmhouse windows are usually traditionally framed – picture (9) shows an example of this. This can simply be done by adding wooden trim pieces around an existing window frame.
- A Mirror: Hang up a round mirror in a wooden frame, or an oval frameless mirror.
- Paintings: Hang up some traditional paintings of farms in wooden frames
- Lighting: When it comes to lighting, look for iron styled pieces like the wall lamp in picture (2). Or how about hanging a chandelier to add character to the space.
Here are some other farmhouse posts to get more ideas from:
- Vintage and Rustic Farmhouse Decor Ideas: Design Guide
- Search all of my farmhouse posts for more ideas