Most of the shabby chic wallpaper designs and ideas in the mood board above can be bought online. You’ll find links and a shopping picture guide down below.
Shabby Chic Color Palette
White wall are the classic shabby chic choice. So a very subtle textured white wallpaper, such as a linen texture, will look amazing on the walls – just like in picture (1). For colored options, look for pastel shades like cream, mint, yellow, or baby blue.
Shabby Chic Wallpaper Styles
- Floral: Floral wallpaper is a popular choice. Go for a pattern in the shabby chic color palette. Here you will have a choice of a full patterned wall paper just like in pictures (2) (3) (4) (5). Or there are patterns that are divided up into columns seen in pictures (6) (7). The column patterns create a more dynamic looking room, but will also make the room feel a bit smaller compared to using the full patterned wallpaper.
- Simple Patterns: A simple pattern, like the one in picture (8), lets you add some decoration to the walls but in a more toned down manner than the full patterned shabby chic style wallpaper.
- Watercolor: The watercolor clouds wallpaper found on Anthropologie has a whimsical and shabby chic style to them (9).
- Wooden Texture: The shabby chic furniture style is wooden and distressed painted. So why not use this style on the walls. You can get distress wooden looking wallpaper (10).
- Stone: Another distressed and shabby chic look would be a stone wall. You can get the stone looking wallpaper in picture (11) in a number of different stone shades.
- Anaglypta Wallpaper: This last shabby wallpaper style is my favorite. It is called anaglypta wallpaper, and is textured with a 3D design. Check out the wallpapers in pictures (12) (13) (14) (15). There is even a lace style (16). The great thing about this type of wallpaper is that it creates a pattern on the wall, but in a subtle and minimalist way. You can also paint over it to customise it to the color of your room. It can even be used to decorate your ceilings (17). Wayfair has a great collection of anaglypta wallpaper – which can be found here.
14 Armadillo: $5.82 Wayfair
Alternative Wall Designs
Paint is a lot cheaper than wallpaper. And just because you are painting a wall doesn’t mean you can’t get creative and have decorative designs. There are textured painting techniques you can use to create a marble or linen look among others (Textured Wall Painting Ideas: From Faux Wood to Linen Effects). Picture (18) shows a paint roller that paints a pattern on the wall – that roller and other designs can be bought here.
Another way to add a shabby chic texture on a wall is to rough plaster it, just like Italian country houses (19).
For a more classic and toned down decorative style, why not use wall trim to decorate and liven up the walls. Check out the white walls in picture (20).
And don’t forget about finishing touches such as floor trim or crown molding. Instead of using the plain crown molding seen in most homes, you can find fancy and decorative molding (21), ideal for a shabby chic styled space.
More shabby chic style wall decorating ideas: