Shabby chic is a great style for a baby nursery. With its pastel shades and use of fabric, it is a style that is whimsical, soft and romantic. Here are some shabby chic nursery decor ideas to help you decorate and transform your space.
Shabby Chic Crib Ideas
The crib is the main focal point in a nursery. It will be the largest piece of furniture in the room, and everything will be arranged around it. Get the shabby chic look here, and it sets the tone and feel for the rest of the room. Some designs ideas for cribs include using a wicker or an antique style French one.
It is not necessary to get a shabby chic crib to create the right style. Here are some ways to dress up any crib for a shabby chic look:
- Your fabric choices play a big role in creating the right style. Use pastel colors, floral patterns and or lace. These can be used as shabby chic baby bedding, for skirting around the crib, or for lining the walls of the crib just like in pictures (2) and (3).
- Another way to create the shabby chic look around a crib is to hang up a canopy above it (4).
- And don’t forget about a shabby chic style mobile to hang over the crib (5). Etsy is a great place to find one.
The statement piece in any shabby chic room is a chandelier. For the ceiling light in a nursery, try and use a mini chaneleier (6).
To create cozy lighting in the shabby chic baby room, try and avoid using the ceiling lights. Instead go with floor and table lamps. Get lamps with fancy lamps shades – like the one in picture (7) and in the pictures below. Another cozy and whimsical lighting idea is to hang up string lights (8).
Blossom Chandelier: $396 Amazon
Shabby Chic-ifying Your Walls
You’ll usually see white painted walls in most shabby chic designed rooms. Other shabby paint options include mint, yellow, baby blue (for a boy), cream, or pink (for a girl). For a more decorative look, why not use some floral wallpaper.
Some other design ideas for the walls include: using trim, fancy crown molding, or using Anaglypta wallpaper as seen in picture (9). For more wall design ideas and pictures have a look at my mood boards here:
Decor and Storage Ideas
Some simple decor and storage ideas for your shabby chic nursery include:
- A rocking chair
- The curtains in the room can help create the shabby chic look (10). From floral patterns and lace curtains, to using antique door knob tie backs and wooden curtain rods, have a look at my mood board here for a range of creative curtain and window ideas: Window Treatment Style: Shabby Chic Curtains, Rods, and Tie Backs.
- Use fancy storage containers, as they will add to the style of the room. Some ideas include wicker and wire baskets, vintage bottles, enamel containers (11), galvanised buckets can be used as trash cans, or a wooden ladder can be used to hang up towels and linens. For a mood board of storage ideas, check out this post: Organizing in Style: Shabby Chic Storage Ideas.
For more decor ideas for your nursery, have a look at my mood board here: Whimsy and Romance: Shabby Chic Decor Ideas.