The Quote: “Eat well, Live simply, Laugh often” – perfect for the kitchen countertop. I’ve been wanting to create a simple chalkboard, and thought that using an IKEA BILLY extension door would make a great frame.
Materials used: IKEA BILLY OLSBO extension glass door (plus the hinges that come with it), white spray paint (had it lying around), masking tape, chalkboard paint, piece of wood to use as the stand, wood stain and finisher.
1. The first thing I did was to mask the frame, back and front, before spray painting the glass. The spray paint sticks onto the glass well allowing for the chalkboard paint to be applied. I tried using acrylic paint instead of spray paint but that didn’t work. There are glass primers – but I wanted to use what I had around the house.
2. Painted on 2 coats of chalkboard paint.
3. To create the stand I used one of the hinges that came with the BILLY door and a piece of wood. The wood was stained twice to try and match the BILLY color and left overnight to dry. New holes had to be drilled into the frame of the BILLY door as the hinge needed to be fitted upside down. A hole was drilled into the stained piece of wood for the screw to fit into.
4. Did some sketches of what I wanted written out and the font style: “Eat well, Live Simply, Laugh often.”
5. And there it is, a hand lettered DIY chalkboard sign using an IKEA BILLY door.
- DIY Chalkboard Paint Decor Ideas for the Home
- DIY Chalkboard Globe: Anthropologie Soapstone Knock Off