Your home reading space could be as simple as using a comfy chair tucked away in the corner. But here is a list of cozy and creative reading nook ideas that will show you how to take your relaxing space to another level.
Try and choose a secluded area in your home for your reading nook. This could be:
- In a corner
- By a window – just like the reading nook in picture (1)
- Turn the space under the stairs into a reading nook (5)
- In the attic
- Inside a large closet that you don’t need
- Why not hang up a hammock (6)
- Set up a teepee for a toddler and kids reading nook
- Or how about outdoors in the garden
How to Make A Cozy Reading Nook
You’ll want to make the space as cozy as possible. To do this, you’ll want to try and shut yourself off from the rest of the house. This can be done by hanging up some curtains (Ideas Mood Board: DIY Room Dividers). Or by hanging up some fabric to create a reading nook canopy around a love seat just like in picture (7). You could block off your reading nook using bookcases, or build it into a space (like a closet, or under the stairs) – just like in pictures (3) and (4).
You’ll want to make sure your have enough lighting to be able to read comfortably without straining your eyes. This doesn’t mean you have to have your ceiling lights on, lighting up the whole space. Instead, maybe hook up the lights to a dimmer switch and use a table lamp for more relaxing lighting. You can also hang up string lights, or put tea candles in a bowl of water to create soothing ambient lighting.
Having yourself surround by bookcases of books is one way to style your reading nook. Another idea is to create a gallery wall of framed pictures and paintings.
Here are some other posts to get ideas from:
- Creative Book Storage Ideas: From Nooks to Staircases
- Creative Bedroom Ideas: From Reading Nooks to Hanging Chairs
- 39 Cool Basement Ideas: From Secret Doors To Your Own Brewery