The first question you need to ask yourself when designing a black living room is, how much black do you want?
How Much Black?
You could go with all black walls, and even a black ceiling. Or you could have a more toned down design by either using white wainscoting or paint all the walls white, but have one black wall.
Living Room Design Elements
Here are a few ideas on what to include in your living room design:
- Use wainscoting, but instead of having it white, paint it the same color (black) as the walls. This adds layers and some styling to the room
- White crown molding is another idea, which will contrast well with the black walls
- If you are planning on an entire living room remodel, then the flooring will need to fit the overall design style. For a black living room some design option include: dark hardwoods and tiles. Or if you wanted to brighten the space up a bit, then a grey floor or lighter wooden floors will work.
- Hang up some artwork, either in white, gold, silver or black frames to spice up the black walls.
How to Add Some Texture
Try and infuse some subtle textures into your black living room furniture and design. This will help avoid creating flat dull spaces. Some ideas here include:
- Using black wallpaper that has a subtle texture or pattern (A Fine Selection of Modern Wallpaper Designs)
- You can even paint the walls and add texture. Using a brush you can create a linen effect. Or by using a sponge, with black paint and really dark grey paint you could create a marble texture. Have a look at my post here for more ideas: Textured Wall Painting Ideas: From Faux Wood To Linen Effects
- The same can be said about area rugs, and pillow cases – look for fabric that has a subtle texture or pattern to it.
Have a look at these posts for more ideas:
- Ideas For Living Room Colors: Paint Palettes and Color Scheme
- Relaxing and Cozy Living Room Lighting Ideas
- Dream Features: Luxury Living Room Design Ideas
- Search all of my living room posts for more ideas