There is a lot that you can do to make the most of a small closet space. Simple storage and organization hacks such has hanging up hooks on the inside of the doors, or using hanging baskets can help add more storage space. In this post you’ll find all of the smart and inventive small closet ideas you’ll need to make the most of your space.
The Clothes We Use The Most
If you do have a small closet, the first thing that you might want to do is to start purging, getting rid of some of your clothes. This little fact might help make it easier: we usually only use 20% of our clothes 80% of the time. That means that the other 80% of clothes we have, we only use 20% of the time. So try and figure out which clothes you use the most and get rid of the others.
And if you live in a seasonal place, then look to switch out your clothes and store out of season clothes either under the bed, in the attic, or in garage.
Creative Ways to Add Storage in Your Closet
Here are some ways to make extra storage space in your closet:
- See if you can add storage space to the inside of your closet doors. Fit hooks and railings to hang up items. Or you can get over the door closet organizers.
- You can get hanging baskets that fit onto your shelves. This way you use the entire height of each shelf making sure no space is wasted – just like the shelf in picture (5) that is storing the small towels or the socks in picture (6).
- If you have a large void under your clothes railing, see if you can put in some shelves.
- Make the most of the height of your closet – just like the closet in picture (1). Hang shelving all the way up to the ceiling. Or if you have a free standing closet, then look to get good looking storage baskets/containers such as matching wicker baskets. This way you can store things above the closet and it will still look good.
- If you need to store a lot fo scarves, then have a look at my post here: Creative Ways of How To Store Scarves
Smart and Simple Small Closet Organization Ideas
- What is smart about the small closet design in picture (4) is that you have most of the clothes hanging on a railing on the bottom half of the closet. Most closets will have the railing up high and then have shelving down low. But this means you have to bend down to get to the shelving. Having the clothes railing down low doesn’t make it harder to get the clothes, and leaves you with shelving space above, which is easier to get to.
- If you have draws then look to get draw dividers to help organize them and keep them clutter free. The same can be done with shelving by using shelf dividers just like in picture (5)
- If you need to store small items in your closet (toiletries, jewelry, cufflinks, etc.) then get a basket or tray so these items that be grouped together tidily – just like the metal basket in picture (5).
Creative Ways to Add Storage Around Your Bedroom
Here are some ways to add more storage around the bedroom to help store your clothes:
- On the back of the bedroom door, see if you can fit hooks or railings. Again there are over the door organizers.
- Put up a shelf over the door frame.
- IKEA has storage solutions that can slide under your bed
- Get a good looking wooden crate/trunk, or wicker hamper that you can use to store clothing in the bedroom. If you buy a good looking piece, this will also act as decor for the bedroom.
- Getting Creative: No Closet Solutions and Storage Ideas
Here are some other bedroom storage posts to get more ideas from:
- Space Saving and Stylish Bedroom Storage Ideas
- Redesigning Your Closet: Ideas and Steps On How To Organize Your Closet and Clothes
- Stress Free Living: How To Declutter Your Bedroom
- Search all of my storage posts for more ideas