Some simple rustic storage ideas include using:
- Wooden crates. These can be stacked up to create makeshift shelving
- Stone bowls and wooden trays to group clutter items together (remotes on the coffee table | watches, phone, keys on the bedside table | toothbrush/paste, lotions in the bathroom).
- Glass bottles and glass jars can be used to store kitchen items, as seen in picture (1). They can also replace plastic bottles around the bathroom or kitchen sink (soaps, lotions, etc.). For some inspiration, have a look at my mood board post here: Home Decor Ideas: Using Vintage Glass Bottles.
- Vintage style wire baskets can be used around the house. For more vintage storage ideas have a look at my mood board post here: Vintage Storage and Organization Ideas.
- Large wicker baskets (2) can store: magazines, fire wood, living room blankets, shoes, toys, dirty laundry, or be used as a trash can.
- For rustic storage cabinets, there are wooden ones like the floating cabinet in picture (3) or the free standing one in picture (4). Or you could put reclaimed planks of wood on top of iron shelf brackets.
- Hang up some iron clothes hooks.
The DIY Route
Upgrading Furniture Pieces: A simple way to add a subtle rustic touch to your cabinets, closets and draws, is to add leather pulls. You can see how The Brick House created the leather pull seen in picture (5) here.
Another way to upgrade your draws is to replace the front part with reclaimed wood (6).
Repurposing: In my DIY Rustic Decor post, I talked a bit about using ladders and reclaimed windows.
Ladders can be used all around the house, from hanging blankets and magazines in the living room, hanging towels in the bathroom, to hanging clothes in the bedroom. You can even hang pots and pans from them in the kitchen with some hooks. Use an iron or wooden ladder for a rustic look, just like the one in picture (7).
Another way to hang clothes is to screw together some wooden poles. You can see how the clothes hanger in picture (8), with the leather detail and metal hooks, were made here.
Reclaimed Windows: Old windows can be turned into elegant rustic coffee tables with storage or cabinets. For pictures and more ideas, have a look at my mood board post here Home Decor Ideas: Using Reclaimed Old Windows.
More rustic and storage mood board posts: