Whether it’s for valentines day or year round, there are simple ways to create a romantic setting in your home. Below are some super easy ideas. For ideas based around romantic style furniture/color schemes/shabby chic decor check out the links to other mood board posts at the end of this post.
1. Romantic Mood Lighting
To create a more relaxed and romantic vibe in any room, you’ll want to use lighting that is closer to the ground. So avoid using the ceiling lights. It’d be great if you had a dimmer switch but if you don’t here are some simple ways to create romantic mood lighting:
- Enchanting Lights: String lights add a whimsical feel to a room as seen in picture (1), and are inexpensive and quick to put up. These can be hung on walls, over furniture, bunched up into a wine bottle/bird cage, or wrapped up in lace. Have a look at these posts for more ideas and photos:
- Painting the Walls: A simple mood lamp, like the Philips Mood Lamp, can instantly change the color of a room (2). For a romantic setting, set the mood lamp to a dark purple/blue/red and instantly transform the room.
- The Glow From a Flame: Nothing is more romantic than sitting by a flame (3). So set up some candles. To reduce the risk of a fire you can place floating candles into a glass bowl of water. Or you can put candles into lanterns. And use tiki torches outdoors.
2. A Cuddling Space
Here are some ways to create your own cuddling space at home:
- Create bohemian style floor seating by using large floor cushions (4)
- Use soft fluffy rugs
- A canopy/4 post bed is a romantic statement piece in the bedroom
- Soften your rooms by hanging fabric over furniture (like the canopy bed), or lace over lamps
- Arouse another sense in your romantic cuddle space by using aromatherapy oil burners
- Don’t forget about including the mood lights from the section above
3. Sentimental Love
Put up some photos of yourselves. But go for black and white photos for a more romantic style. Some photograph display ideas include:
- Creating a gallery wall
- DIY photo stands using air dry clay (Simple DIY Clay Photo Display Stands)
- DIY photo confetti (Travel Photos Confetti Display – Plus DIY Printables Guide)
- Print on wood (Home Decor Ideas: Using Your Printer)
- Blueprint prints seen in picture (5) (Blueprint Photos Print By A Beautiful Mess)
Check out these mood board posts for more romantic home decor ideas: