There are 3 main areas to think about when it comes to modern living room ideas – 1) The color scheme, 2) lighting design, and 3) straight line design. I also go over some simple modern decor tips in this post.
The Color Scheme
From the living pictures in the mood board above, you can see that modern spaces use mostly neutral tones (white, grey, black). This applies to the main feature pieces in the living room – such as the wall color, the seating, cabinets, the coffee table area, and any area rugs. These are the main accent pieces in a living room, pieces that really impact the style of the whole room.
Like most spaces with a neutral color scheme, you can add warmth and color through the use of natural materials. Try and infuse wooden features into the living room, or add some plants,
If you want to add a pop of color, then try and stick to 1 to 2 other colors. Otherwise you’ll take away from the overall neutral look of the space. Check out the modern living room in picture (6) with the pops of yellow.
- Color Style: Black Living Room Ideas and Designs
- Color Choice: White Living Room Ideas and Designs
- Ideas For Living Room Colors: Paint Palette And Color Schemes
Modern Living Room Lighting Ideas
The main way to light up a modern living room design is through recessed lights. Recessed lights are fitted into your ceiling, so that all the fixtures are hidden away creating a sleek and modern look.
Hook up these recessed lights to a dimmer switch so that you can dim them down for softer lighting.
And for other light fixtures, see if you can get one of those arch lamps seen in a lot of the pictures. Get yours here:
Straight Lines – Modern Home Designs
If you take a look at the pictures in the mood board, you’ll notice that the rooms feature strong straight lines and edges. Everything has a straight edge. Even the chairs don’t have any rounded sides. Instead you have sectional straight edge modern furniture.
Some Other Design Notes and Modern Decor Ideas
- Go with a hookless curtain and curtain rod
- Use subtle textures and patterns when it comes to the fabric of the furniture, or the area rug
- Keep the space clutter free. Try and store items away in cabinets, and use a tray on the coffee table to group together clutter items
- You can give your closest and cabinet doors a modern makeover, with some paint and new hardware (DIY Challenge: Give Your Closet Doors a Makeover). Have a look here for specific examples on what modern closet doors look like: Design Tips for Modern Closet Doors
- For modern decor ideas, have a look at my post here: A Clutter Free Home: Modern Decor Ideas. Or check out this one: Simple Yet Stylish Modern Wall Decor Ideas.
Have a look at these posts for more living room ideas:
- Relaxing and Cozy Living Room Lighting Ideas
- Dream Features: Luxury Living Room Design Ideas
- Stress Free: Minimalist Living Room Ideas
- Search all of my living room posts for more ideas